Thursday, May 19, 2011

Heavy times

I am really trying to get out from underneath the black cloud that seems to be following me around. I've kept it off FB and here, but so many people have been asking why they haven't heard from me so I feel I owe you all an explanation. Yes cyber family, I love you all for your concern.

There are HUGE changes in my very near future (and no, we're not moving). My job is a term position, and the term will be up as of June 30. Every year my job is reposted, and every year I wait to see if a certified teacher will realize what a jewel of a job I have and apply. If a certified teacher applies for my job, I will automatically be bumped. I am in the last course of a 2 year program to obtain my ECE, but unfortunately although the school board has paid for this they cannot guarantee me a job. The Saskatchewan Teachers are also in a union fight right now, and we had our first "rally" day a few weeks ago. These scare me because again, although I'm not a teacher I have to fight with them because I am part of their union. So I have already been required to spend a rally day with them knowing full well I will not be paid for it. They are currently returning to the bargining table so I check my email everyday to see if there is another walk-out planned. We get 36 hours notice by email if this happens.

Add to this I have taken it upon myself to do all the pre-k grad pictures (of course, why wouldn't I?) I did all their pictures in front of a green screen, and there are 34 of them so I have been photoshopping every night trying to get these done. The grad is a big deal here so there's a lot of work.

And speaking of work, there are also big changes happening with the pre-k program. Currently, the program is offered in the headstart program here in town, but next year it will be operated right out of the elementary school. For anyone who lives in a small community, you know that most programs are provincially funded, so this is a HUGE impact for the Friendship Centre to lose this program. So there is a lot of uncertainty going on, because frankly no one really knows the details yet. All I know is this will be the last year I will be working in this building, with these women. That really sucks.

And to top it all off, yesterday at work that one of my students will not be returning because of an incident that happened in her house. Although I am not comfortable discussing the details, let's just say all the children were taken from their home in the middle of the night, their father is in jail and their mother is in the hospital in critical condition. Another little girl told me yesterday on the day home that "Daddy hit mommy and made her cry and now he's in jail". It is hard not to cry at work, and yesterday finding out these 2 things within an hour of each other left me coming home with a very sore lip, because biting it was what I did to not cry and scoop her up to hug her.

But, as usual my hubby is coming to my rescue. I had been asked to do a photography shoot in Prince Albert this weekend, so he decided to make it a camping weekend. Oh yes my friends, we're going camping! The camper is set, we bought a new mattress last night for our bed in there, and we're heading out of town for 3 glorious days. It is just what I need right now. No work, no stress, just 3 days camping with the most important people in my life, and Jamie and Clare of course. :)

3 comments:

Morena said...

I hate hearing stories like that and from Nick's job, I know it happens more often than I ever thought. I hope the mom ends up ok.

And good luck with your job issues. I can't imagine dealing with uncertaintly like that. I hope nobody else applies and you get to keep it.

I hope your spirits are lifted soon.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Holy stress batman!!

Sending all of my happy thoughts your way.

Scratchings in the Dirt said...

Hugs and prayers, my friend!