Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Mommy, you lie!"

Joey has finally settled in at daycare. He has settled in so much, he gets upset when he doesn't go. Anyone who knows me and my children know that my kids are creatures of habit. They go to bed at the same time every night, not because they are told to, but because they just do. They have always done it. If we don't have supper by 5pm, Colby starts to mentally lose it. They are just funny that way.

Yesterday, the director of the daycare lost her daughter. Her daughter was born with a genetic defect and was not given much of a chance to survive. She was a fighter. She never grew much and looked like an infant, even though on the 7th of this month she turned 11 months old. She was in the daycare so we all got to see, and hear her. She may have been small, but there was nothing wrong with her lungs. She grew her angel wings early Tuesday morning, after being in the hospital for 3 days, so they closed the daycare to give all the women who worked with her the day off to grieve. I took Joey to work with me that day, and when he realized he was not going to "school" he became quite upset. When I told him that "school" was closed, he sobbed and said that it wasn't. When I told him that Beatrice (who is the woman who works with him) wasn't there, that is when he called me a liar. I couldn't help but laugh. Here is this little guy, sobbing his heart out because he couldn't go spend time with his Beatrice. Most kids would be excited to come to work with their mom's for a whole day, especially if she works in a preschool. Not my little fart. I realized today why he loves going there so much. When he gets there, all the other kids are napping, so he has Beatrice all to himself. They curl up together and read books, which is Joe's favorite thing to do. Then they have a snack and wait for the kids to wake up.

Some people I know would be jealous in this situation, but not me. I think the more people who love your kids, the better they are. I know when I leave him there, even though it's only for a few hours, he is well cared for and really happy to be there. That makes it worth it for both of us.

2 comments:

OHN said...

Tina...you are so wise to realize that the more people that love your kids, the better your kids will be.

You are a good mom.

(even if you are a liar:)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

So funny and so sad!