Monday, October 22, 2007

That Cavier is a garnish!

We had our date night last night. It was great to just get out and talk without

"Mommy, how much longer is it?"

"Are we in Yellowknife yet?"

"Joey hit me".

"I gotta pee".

We went to Traders Grill, in the Explorer Hotel. The atmosphere is very cosy, there is a big fireplace right in the middle of the room. We sat near the window, and watched snow fall. Our dinner started with appitizers of steamed mussels for Rob, and bacon wrapped scallops for me. (I have been craving scallops for the last couple of weeks so I was more than excited to see them on the menu). Then with our dinner came a caesar salad. I was expecting a side salad, but NO, it was a FULL plate. By this time I'm wondering if I made a mistake ordering appitizers, knowing the main course was still on it's way. Then along came the prime rib steak and lobster tails. (Yes, we splurged, but in our defence we were TOLD to). I didn't care much for the lobster, but the rest was quite good. I couldn't finish the steak, it was just too big. Then we thought "What the hell" and ordered dessert to split. New York Cheesecake. It was fabulous.

Rob and I started talking about how much time is flying since we've been here. We're going into our 6th month living up here. We also realized next month we will be together 13 years, and next year we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Due to all this time together, we tend to think of things at the same time. This seems to happen more and more the longer we're together. Here's a great example:

When the cheesecake arrived, we were chatting about something. Rob took a forkful of cheesecake and then started to scrape a little bit of the "drizzle" around the cake. I immediately thought of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail" when they were at a dinner party and he scraped the cavier off a dish. She looked at him and said "That cavier is a garnish!". No sooner did this thought finish in my head when Rob looked at me and said

"That cavier is a garnish!"

We laughed so hard I nearly cried. I am so lucky to have such a great husband who thinks like I do and shares my sense of humor.

6 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

That sounds like such a nice night! I am now craving bacon wrapped scallops. I make really good ones- marinate the scallops overnight in soya sauce and brown sugar. Then wrap them the next day and bake. mmmmmm!!

When we go to Edmonton in a month my mom is coming and we are hoping to get a supper and a movie in by ourselves!

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

That's so cool Kara. Will you be staying in a hotel or do you have family there? You'll have to let me know when you'll be coming through. Even if you only have an hour stopover in Yellowknife, we'll come in to at least meet Hunter in person, and I guess you guys also :)

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine it crossed your mind to leave the camera at home. Good thing you found each other, you're both nucking futs.
CL

Anonymous said...

I AM SO GLAD YOU GUYS HAD A GREAT TIME. I ONLY WISH THAT I WOULD MEET SOMEONE SPECIAL, YOU GUYS ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE EACH OTHER AND BE IN TUNE WITH EACH OTHER'S THOUGHTS. I LOVE YOU TO PIECES AND MISS YOU AND COLBY AND JOEY VERY MUCH! I'LL KEEP YOUR FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS XOXO

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

CL: I wanted to take pictures of all the food but Rob wouldn't let me. :)

jen said...

How romantic! I think it's very important to get out just the two of you! I hope we will remember that when we have kids!